About Dr. Joseph Scapicio
Dr. Scapicio is an honors graduate of the Eastern School of Traditional Medicine and Acupuncture in Montclair, N.J. At the Eastern School, he was trained extensively in Traditional Chinese Medical Acupuncture, Japanese Acupuncture, and Five Element Acupuncture. He has performed clinical internships in Chinese and Japanese styles of acupuncture. Dr. Scapicio is also a board certified diplomate of acupuncture through the National Board Certification Committee of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) and a licensed acupuncturist in the State of New Jersey.
Prior to to his formal training as an acupuncturist, Dr. Scapicio practiced in the health care field for over 30 years. He was a 1983 graduate of Life Chiropractic University in Marietta, Ga. Throughout his years in practice, Dr. Scapicio has developed an opened minded philosophy of health care which is centered upon always keeping the best interest of the patient first. He has established a diverse network of both alternative and medical professionals in order to be sure that his patients are receiving a comprehensive and high level of care.
Dr. Scapicio is regularly involved in continuing education and studies involving topics such as:
- Cancer and Oncology Support: Memorial Sloan Kettering and many other cancer treatment centers offer acupuncture treatment to their cancer patients. It is utilized for the management of pain, nausea, the side of effects of chemotherapy medications, and relaxation. Dr. Scapicio has participated in Memorial Sloan Ketterings’ “Acupuncture for the Cancer Patient” educational series and utilizes these techniques in a supportive role for patients who are in treatment for cancer.
- Womens’ Health Issues: Many women are now seeking complimentary care for their health issues. Recognizing this trend and the unique challenges that are presented in womens’ health, Dr. Scapicio participates in ongoing educational courses to meet these needs.
- Fertility Treatment: Acupuncture and herbs are becoming more well-known for their effectiveness in improving conception, preventing miscarriage, and carrying to full term pregnancy. Acupuncture improves the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs, regulates hormones to produce a larger number of follicles, and helps to increase the thickness of the uterine lining.
- Pain Management: Pain is perhaps the most common reason that patients present in many acupuncture offices. Dr. Scapicio has been involved in pain management for over 27 years and continues to add to his knowledge base with the most current treatment protocols available.
- Pre-surgical and Post-surgical Spine and Joint Pain Treatment: We regularly treat patients who are trying to avoid neck, back, and joint surgery.We also treat residual pain after surgery and failed back surgery symptoms. Low back pain, sciatica, neck pain and headaches, shoulder, hip, and knee pain are some of the most common types of pain that we treat.
- Sports Injuries: Dr. Scapicio has been a certified sports physician since 1985 and continues to seek out techniques that will improve recovery time naturally and minimize the reoccurrence of injury.
- Digestive Disorders: Acupuncture has had a long history of success in regulating the digestive tract. It is effective for treating acid reflux, indigestion, IBS, colitis, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea
Dr. Scapicio has been serving Toms River and the surrounding towns of Brick, Beachwood, Seaside, Lakewood, Jackson, Manchester, and all of Ocean County, New Jersey since 1983.
About Thomas Mazorlig
Thomas Mazorlig graduated from the Eastern School of Traditional Medicine and Acupuncture in Bloomfield, N.J. At Eastern School, he was trained in three styles of acupuncture: Traditional Chinese Medical Acupuncture (TCM), Japanese Acupuncture (in the style of Kiiko Matsumoto), and Five Element Acupuncture. He has performed a clinical internship in Traditional Chinese Medical Acupuncture.
Mr. Mazorlig is also a board certified diplomate of acupuncture through the National Board Certification Committee of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) and a licensed acupuncturist in the State of New Jersey. He completed a Masters of Acupuncture at Eastern School.
Prior to training as an acupuncturist, Mr. Mazorlig obtained his Bachelor of Science in Biology with a concentration in Anatomy and Physiology at Cornell University. In 2002, Mr. Mazorlig completed the massage therapy program at the Institute for Therapeutic Massage. He worked as a certified massage therapist at Family First Chiropractic and with a private client base for several years. He also taught anatomy and physiology at the Institute for Therapeutic Massage from 2004 to 2013.